May 21, 2009

Fabio Cannavaro says goodbye to Real Madrid

Smiling and charming as ever, but also sad for leaving Real Madrid, Fabio Cannavaro said goodbye to the media in his last press conference as a Madridista.

It's time to say goodbye.
Yes. I've thought much about it and I'm going back to Italy to play for Juventus. I've made many friends in Madrid, people with whom I've had great relationships. I'm leaving Real Madrid. The important things is that I've given my all these last three years and that's why I have no regrets about leaving.

Are you disappointed?
What I don't like is that people will mostly remember our last three games. It shouldn't be like that. Many strange things have happened this year that would have greatly affected any other team; there's been a change of coach, a new President, Van Nistelrooy, Diarra and De la red have been injured all season, Pepe has been suspended... Before the game against Barcelona, all people saw was a phenomenal team that was having its best-ever run in the second leg of La Liga.

You'll have a great chance to say goodbye to the fans on Sunday.
It's important to win the game; both the team and the fans deserve it. It's essential to have a good farewell at the Bernabeu so that we all have a nice feeling after the game. It will be special for me because it will be my last match at the Bernabeu.

Do you understand people being angry with you for signing for another team before the end of the season?
I've waited a long time. Juventus didn't make it public until two days ago. I've waited for the Club to make a move, but it hasn't, so I had to look out for my future. I didn't have my medical with Juventus until after the Clasico, when it was already impossible for us to win the title.

What are your fondest memories of the last three years?
I have many because we've won two league titles and one Spanish Super Cup. I was very excited about winning the Champions League when I signed, but I've had a lot of fun despite failing to win the Club's tenth European title. I've been to Cibeles twice and that makes me very happy.

Who will you miss the most?
Every team-mate. I've had a chance to play alongside the best: Iker, Diarra, Ruud, Sergio, Raul, Pepe... We fought together to the end. I will also miss the equipment managers, coaches and, of course, the press. You've always praised me when I've played well and thrashed me when I haven't. This is natural in football and I'm relaxed about leaving.

Which are your saddest and happiest memories?
The saddest was the defeat against Barcelona at the Bernabeu this year. We worked hard before then and it was, as we say in Italy, "like going to Rome and not seeing the Pope." The match in Liverpool was also a hard blow to all the squad. I think the happiest moments were having Barcelona receive us as victors last season, the Super Cup match against Valencia -which we won with just nine men-, the match against Mallorca that gave us our first league title... I have very fond memories of my three years at Real Madrid.

You arrived with the Ballon d'Or and the FIFA World Player awards in your pocket and you leave after a bad season.
No, no. This is typical in a footballer's life. Some years are better than others, but what counts is being a professional. I've had an exemplary behaviour throughout these three years and I've behaved like a professional. Things can't turn out well all the time.

What do Real Madrid need?
I think they need to take things slowly because many strange things have happened this year. The Club needs a clear path to follow as befits a great entity. It needs a President that lasts for more than four years; it's the only way to make solid plans for the future.

Would you like to score a goal in your farewell at the Bernabeu?
I haven't scored there in three years... Each player must know his place. It isn't important to say goodbye with a goal because I don't have to prove my worth in just one game. I must have done something well in three years.

Could Mourinho be a good coach for Real Madrid?
I think he is a great coach and Inter Milan have built a great team in recent years. We will have to work hard at Juventus to beat them because they are a great opponent. Mourinho has enough experience to coach a team like Real Madrid, but people are forgetting about Juande Ramos, who's had a great season and is also a fantastic coach.

What would you like to say to the fans?
Grazie mille. The fans have always been great to me. They were very forgiving the first year and I can only thank them for it.

How would you like them to bid you farewell on Sunday?
Winning the game is what's most important to me. The rest will come later. I shouldn't think about having a good or a bad farewell; the team is what's really important.

See you next year in the 2010 Champions League final.
I hope so. That would make me very happy.

2 comments:

giggle pop said...

Oh canna, canna, canna how I will miss you and your peach of an ass running around in those white shorts. Best of luck at Juve...and if they don't welcome you back with open arms (as they should) I sure will!

LOVELAMPS said...

Oh Canna! You are class. Pure class. You will be missed!