December 10, 2008

This whole world needs an anthem

Sarebear did a wonderful post on the breakup of Phantom Planet. I think she is a far bigger person than I am and is dealing with it a lot better than me. I have been in a very melancholic state of mind towards the whole situation and I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I'm not happy.

Besides Blink-182, I can't remember having a band that I really really liked breaking up. The breakup of Phantom Planet seems a whole lot more personal than the breakup of Blink-182 and it's really affecting me more than I thought possible. I just keep listening to their 4 incredible albums and it's sad to know that that's it. There won't be more.

Phantom Planet has always held a dear place in my heart, they are even in my blog header. I remember when I was 14 years old and I got a copy of their second album The Guest. That was one of the albums that really molded my musical tastes and opened up a whole new musical genre. I still listen to that album and love every single word of it. I remember when in 9th grade I was asked who my three favorite bands were and one of them was Phantom Planet.

I know that Phantom Planet have had their problems so this shouldn't be so suprising, but they just this very year came back from a 4 year musical hiatus just as good as ever. I had Raise The Dead on pre-order and I couldn't wait. This meant that they would tour again and I would be able to see them live like I have always wanted too. I had hope. I saw them with Panic at the Disco and they were just AMAZING. All seemed to be going right.

Apparently I was wrong. It was merely a month ago I saw them on November 3rd and it was awesome, but as it's said, all good things must come to end. I don't understand why or what happened, but I am very sad about this.

I don't really know how to end this, but I do want to say Thank You to Phantom Planet for creating awesome music and showing me the way. They really are one of the bands that made me not just like music, but really love it and I will miss them very much!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Dude, I thought I was okay, but you being all sad is making me all sad now!! :(

RIP Phantom Planet

Stephanie said...

I'm sorry Sarah, but it really is just sooo sad. I obviously don't handle grieving well :(

blank said...

sorry guys. :( massive support hugs.

Gina Villamelon said...

:(
I only have one of their albums, but I shall be going to Napster to dl the rest!

Vanilla Bear said...

*Support hugs* I have just started listening to that one Phantom Planet album I've got, just to feel at one with you in your time of mourning :)