November 08, 2008

Blog Challenge: Why do I support the teams I support?

Oh wow, look at me super procrastinating on this weeks blog challenge. Oh well, it's just how I do.

If you haven't noticed by now I support Real Madrid and Juventus. This is a hard topic for me to write about because I don't actually know why I chose to support either team. It was onced charged that I supported both teams due to a certain constant smiling Italian hottie, but that's just simply not true. I started supporting both teams when said hottie was busy playing for Intercrimnale.

I got into footie/soccer thru my general love of most sports. I came across an EPL game on Fox Sports. It was a pre-recorded one and I really liked it. I can't remember who it was, but I started watching it once a week whenever Fox Sports decided they would play it. I didn't get majorly into it until World Cup 2002. After that I loved it, the drama, the goals, the player, just all of it! I continued to watch the occasional international and EPL match, but basic cable really limited my viewing options. Then my family upgraded and I was introduced to GOLtv and FSN.

Again, I have no idea how I started supporting Real Madrid, but the best answer I can give is from when I saw them play live in 2006 against Utah's local team Real Salt Lake. I watched La Liga and I really like Real Madrid and Villareal, but didnt' really support one over the other. Once I saw Real Madrid in person, I guess that's when I decided they were going to be my team.

I started watching Serie A and a lot of people knock it for being more boring and having less goals, but I appreciate great defenses a lot more than most. I don't need a big sweeping scoreline and I find it a nice contradiction to some of the specatacles in La Liga. Again, I have no idea why I decided to support Juventus, but I did. They seemed like a really cool team so I just went with it.

My story is obviously not as exciting as everyone else's and is pretty much just me not knowing anything, but there it is.

4 comments:

blank said...

Oh, I like this way of choosing teams too, because it's about vibes, right? They found you. Your footy team soulmates.

Vanilla Bear said...

Cool Steph, I agree with Ali, it's all about teams feeling right!

And aw yeah, World Cups are the greatest, no wonder you got caught up in it :D Can't wait for 2010!

Gina Villamelon said...

Yeah, it doesn't matter why you support them, the important thing it that you do and it feels right to you.

Venice said...

I always find it interesting reading about how Americans who like football came to discover it. It's a no brainer for Europeans really, because our culture is saturated with it, but Americans obviously have to try a bit harder to get it.

And I've realized most of us can't really tell, for example, why Liverpool and not Arsenal or why Valencia and not Real Madrid. It's much like falling in love, it's one of those moments that just happen and you're sold.